Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Nate! Part 1

Hi all!  Today our Nate turns 7!! Yes, 7!!  Today, on his birthday, we begin the celebration.  We got up a little early this morning for a pan-'cake' breakfast and opening presents.  Nate will thank you himself, but THANK YOU to his grandparents and all his aunts and uncles for such a showering of gifts.  It was definitely a special morning and Nate loved every gift.  It's a miracle we got him off to school. :)

There are many things I love about this 7 year old, not the least of which is his genuine excitement at everything.  He just has a way of always displaying such an unmitigated, undeniable excitement in everything he does.  It's amazing the thrill I get just from watching him!  Behold, Nate's many faces of joy...

"Is this what I think it is?!?!"

"I am so proud. I am going to love and take such good care of Hedwig for Harry."

"Woooaaaahhhhh!"

"I don't believe this!"

"Eeeek!"

"Really?!?!"

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

And yes, he was hugging his sister for her gift of a lacrosse stick! As you know Nate exhibits great enthusiasm for all things collegiate, but primarily football in the fall, baseball about CWS time in June, and basketball March Madness.  This weekend he took it to the next level including collegiate lacrosse in his obsession.  It stemmed from ESPN's airing of the NCAA Lacrosse tournament.  Nate watched the last 20 minutes of the UVA game (Go Cavs Uncle Newman!), and then headed out back to play a little make-shift lacrosse himself.  I wish I had taken a picture, but he had his soccer net out and was using Albert's throwing toy as a stick.  And he went at it recreating the match he had just watched.  So of course, that night he announced that he wanted a lacrosse stick for his birthday.  MC was the only one who hadn't actually made her purchase yet, so she made up her mind and got lots of hugs for her generosity.

"Awesome, a tetherball!"  You should have seen his face when he realized the ball came with a pole in the backyard ready for play!

Nate has been begging for a tetherball for months.  He had even gone so far as to ask me for some duct tape and rope one afternoon so he could make one himself and hang it from the basketball hoop.  We decided then to put one in the backyard for him.  Brandon began the project last weekend covering with the story that he was fixing the sprinkler system.  The cover worked like a charm and Nate was very surprised this morning.  It should make for some great summer fun.

And the face of an intense sportsman, tongue hanging out and all.

We will pick up the celebration with pizza tonight for supper and a small birthday party this weekend.  So look for Part Two sometime this weekend. And thank you everyone for such generous birthday wishes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment